Monday, August 26, 2013

Where do I begin?

I've never been that skinny girl.  Over the years I've been strong, healthy, but never skinny.  Almost exactly 10 months ago, I had a baby boy.  He is the light of my life, but on account of gaining 40lbs during pregnancy, my weight hit levels that I probably never anticipated it would get to.  All through my pregnancy, I was at the gym several times a week, doing aqua aerobics and reformer pilates.  I think that staying so active helped me rebound quickly.  Within 6 weeks of delivering I'd lost 32 of the 40lbs, and within 3 months I was back at my pre-pregnancy weight.  That's not to say I wasn't still carrying an extra 40lbs over what I would consider my ideal - an ideal that I don't think I've weighed since high school and a part of me wonders if I'll ever see again.  I have breastfeeding to thank for a big chunk of my intial post-partum weight loss, burning approximately 500 calories a day. 

While I'm still breastfeeding, I'm not producing as much milk as I used to be, so I suspect the calories burned daily have started to dwindle, and the last few weeks, I've noticed weight starting to creep back on.  I can't blame it on baby weight.  That's just weight.  I've also realized that this is the longest amount of time that I've gone without regular exercise.  When I was on maternity leave, it was easy to take the little guy out for a walk and get some light exercise that way but, since going back to work, juggling the few free hours I have each day has put exercise on the back burner.  

As my little one is nearly a year old, it's time to do something about it.  Not just for me, but for him, for my husband, so that we can live a long, healthy life together.  I don't want to be a mom who can't keep up with her child.  He's already fast and active and he can't even walk yet! 

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS BLOG?
I need to be accountable to somebody, so I'm putting this out there on the internet.  Perhaps nobody will read it, perhaps some stranger half way across the globe will.  Perhaps I will provide inspiration, to myself if nothing else. 

I'm a foodie, so I want to find delicious recipes, while keeping it somewhat healthy.  I do like to exercise, but time is an issue.  I'd like to find exercises that can be done in just a few minutes a day.  There are tons of options out there for people like me.  So, if you're reading this and feel like you could use a little extra motivation yourself, as the title says - WHY NOT JOIN ME?

No comments:

Post a Comment